Fixing Broken Furnaces in Glenview and Northbrook Since 1940
Are parts of your home unnaturally chilly? Is there something banging and groaning behind your walls in the middle of the night? Before you call the Ghostbusters, it might be a good idea to reach out to a local furnace repair company. The aforementioned signs are often experienced by people with a heating problem. And, in most cases, they can be solved by an experienced HVAC technician. To learn more about furnaces and what it takes to fix them, read on.
Give us a call at (847) 729-1820 to schedule heating repair in the Northbrook and Glenview area.
Signs Your Furnace Has a Problem
There are times when something goes wrong in the heating process. Though this sometimes leads to an obvious problem—a complete furnace breakdown—this isn’t always the case. Much of the time, the signs you need to call a Glenview HVAC contractor are much more subtle. To prevent big problems from snowballing into larger ones, it’s important to be on the lookout for the following:
- Weird Smells: When you first turn your furnace on for the year, you might notice a musty smell. This is typically dust burning off that settled over the months your furnace sat idle. This will dissipate as the unit operates and isn’t anything to be concerned about. If you notice an odor that suddenly appears or refuses to go away, however, it’s time to call a Glenview HVAC professional.
- Odd Noises: Is your furnace banging or making some other kind of noise? This can be the result of numerous issues with the unit and is best diagnosed by a heating repair expert. Call (847) 729-1820 to schedule a furnace repair in Glenview and Northbrook .
- More Service Calls: Every furnace in the Northbrook or Glenview area will have a part fail and need service in its life. In fact, one out of four people in the US will have an HVAC technician in their home each year. But if you’re making multiple calls in a heating season, it’s a sign you’ve been propping up a system that is aging out. Note that service calls don’t include preventative furnace maintenance visits.
- Climbing Utility Bills: There are many reasons your electric or gas bills can rise. Cooler temperatures are an obvious reason. But, if your fuel usage suddenly increases dramatically, you probably should have our Glenview HVAC experts take a look. This increased cost often indicates a furnace that's being pushed past its limit.
- Visual Rust: While some amount of rust is expected with age, excessive amounts—especially on the flue—can be a sign of improper venting. If a roof or plumbing leak is causing furnace corrosion, it’s not just an eyesore. It can be dangerous. If the system rusts through to the heat exchanger, your home could be contaminated with deadly carbon monoxide. So, if you notice an issue with furnace rust, give Effective Air, Inc. a call.
- Frequent Cycling: If your furnace is constantly flicking on and off, there’s something stopping the unit from working properly. Unfortunately, this can be difficult to diagnose due to a variety of potential causes. To get the problem located and fixed quickly, rely on our Glenview heating repair experts.
- Start-Up Problems: Does your furnace not turn on when it drops below the indicated temperature on your thermostat? Are you hearing clicking noises on start-up? These issues often signal an upcoming furnace breakdown. So, if you ever notice them, reach out to Effective Air, Inc. by phone or form.
Fortunately, no matter the scope or size of the problem, Effective Air, Inc. can handle your furnace repair. Though we do most of our work in Wilmette, Northbrook, and Glenview, we are also well known and trusted throughout the surrounding areas.
The Top 5 Causes of Furnace Failure
It’s important that homeowners understand what parts of their furnace are most likely to fail. This can better prepare them to communicate with us about their heating problems. When fixing heating systems in Glenview, we often find the following culprits, some of which can save you a service call:
- Clogged Filters: When was the last time you swapped out your furnace filter? If the answer is more than a few weeks ago, it might be time to check it, especially if you have pets. When running, your heating system pulls in dust, dander, and dirt. This is kept out of the mechanical parts by your furnace filter. A clogged filter restricts airflow, making your heating system work harder. Replacing it not only helps efficiency, but also improves air quality.
- Bad Thermostats: Your thermostat is responsible for signaling your furnace when to turn off and on to maintain the set temperature. If it’s not working properly, you’ll struggle to get warm. For instances where the thermostat may be at fault, make sure its batteries are good, if it uses any. Also, double-check that it is set to HEAT with the run method on AUTO.
- Ignition Failure: Sometimes the pilot light or surface ignitor will fail and refuse to light the burners. If this happens your furnace won’t be able to heat the air, leaving you in the cold. To prevent this, have it checked and cleaned regularly by an Glenview-area HVAC professional. If it's the middle of winter, though, just give our Glenview HVAC contractors a call at (847) 729-1820 instead.
- Exhaust Blower Issues: The furnace exhaust blower is what takes the combustion gasses out of the heat exchanger and vents it safely outdoors. If this component fails, the furnace will cycle on and off or shut down. Regular inspections and maintenance visits can prevent this from happening.
- Blower Motor Failure: The blower motor is essentially what keeps the air moving around your home. Should this component fail, it doesn’t matter how efficient your furnace is, the hot air won’t be distributed around your home. The blower can fail from overheating or from it becoming clogged with debris. Have your ducts cleaned and your furnace tuned up to keep the blower working effectively.
- Bad Heat Exchanger: The heat exchanger is one of the most important components of a conventional furnace. It is the component that safely transfers heat from the flame into heated air that is circulated in the home. When the heat exchanger develops holes or cracks, replacing it can be quite expensive. Some people prefer to simply replace their furnace. An expert evaluating your system can best advise you as to what might be in your best interest.
Trust Us to Tackle Your Furnace Problems in Glenview or Northbrook
When it comes to furnace repair in Glenview or Wilmette, we know you have plenty of HVAC companies to choose from. However, not all of them are equal.
When you need your furnace repaired or replaced, trust the experts at Effective Air, Inc.! As our long list of happy customers shows, many of your neighbors already do! With 83 years of experience helping people in the Glenview area, we have the know-how necessary to fix your broken furnace or replace the old one. No matter what you need, our company has well-defined services and procedures to ensure the job's done right. In other words, when it comes to furnace repair, you can always count on Effective Air, Inc. for quality products and workmanship. Contact us today to schedule your furnace repair in Glenview.
Furnace Repair, Heating System Repair & Heater Repair
Wilmette, IL, Evanston, IL, Skokie, IL, Kenilworth, IL, Glenview, IL & Highland Park, IL And Surrounding Communities
Effective Air specializes in heating repair, bringing swift and cost-effective solutions to our customers in the Chicagolands North Shore. Contact us at (847) 250-6107, and we’ll send a uniformed, NATE-certified, factory trained technician to your door.
Expert Heating System Repairs
Our team is prepared with advanced diagnostics and a full range of genuine replacement parts to accurately pinpoint and swiftly resolve challenges with all makes and models of heating equipment. Serving the Chicagolands North Shore since 1940, we make health, safety, and comfort our top priority.
Heater Repair In Skokie, IL | Furnace Repair
Don’t Get Stuck In The Cold – Call Effective Air For Accurate Heating Repair Service!
As a small, family owned business, Effective Air provides affordable and convenient heating repair throughout Glenview, Kenilworth, Wilmette, Winnetka, Evanston & Highland Park, Skokie, Glencoe, Northbrook, IL. There’s no waiting around for a tardy technician to arrive, no dealing with mess or damage, and no pressure to buy something you don’t want or need. Believing in personalized solutions to unique problems, we explain options, offer knowledgeable recommendations, and target sustainable repairs. We make sure you’re satisfied with your decisions and the operation of your heating system. Rely on Effective Air for Solutions for A Healthier Home.
Furnace Repair • Glenview, Kenilworth, Wilmette, Winnetka, Evanston & Highland Park, Skokie, Glencoe, Northbrook, IL
Heating System Repair, Furnace Repair, Heater Repair